Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Mystery of the Scarf

If I'm going to continue writing about French culture, I think I should write something about the importance of the scarf. Everyone -- men, women, old, young -- wears them. It's hard to walk down the street without seeing scarves of every design and color, worn in any number of ways and tied with a variety of knots. They are quintessentially French clothing.

Scarves are, perhaps, the ultimate fashion accessory for Parisians who live in small apartments and have much smaller wardrobes than Americans with big walk-in closets. Wear a neutral color, and you can create numerous outfits just by changing your scarf.

Someone recently suggested to me that they're good for the weather we're having (chilly in the morning, warmer in the afternoon) because you can wear a scarf to keep warm at first and then take it off later. I've strugged with keeping my body temperature constant because I dress for the morning chill, and then I walk so much with a heavy bag that inevitably I'm sweaty by the time I arrive at my destination. Maybe switching to a scarf would do the trick.

I also think the ubiquity of the scarf is rooted in some old folk medical tradition about keeping your throat warm to stave off sickness. It sounds like the kind of advice that was passed down from grandmothers to grandchildren and has lingered on as part of the cultural collective wisdom.

Whatever the reason, the Parisians love their scarves.

No comments: